After weeks of rumors the Undertaker made his long awaited return on Old School Raw and CM Punk earned the right to face him at Wrestlemania! Also this week WWE Champion The Rock and John Cena had a confrontational debate, Triple H challenged Brock Lesnar to a match at Wrestlemania, Jack Swagger taught the legends what it means to be real Americans, and the New Age Outlaws were in action!
- The Undertaker returned and issued an open challenge for Wrestlemania. Randy Orton, Big Show, Sheamus and CM Punk answered the call and would face off later in the night to determine Undertaker’s opponent.
- Mark Henry def. Zack Ryder.
- WWE Champion The Rock and John Cena confronted each other in a “point-counterpoint”.
- Jack Swagger attacked “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan, Sgt. Slaughter and Dusty Rhodes.
- Team Hell No def. The Prime Time Players. After the match Ted DiBiase Sr. stuffed notes in the mouth of Darren Young; Daniel Bryan creeped back to steal the cash.
- Brodus Clay and Tensai def. 3MB. Honky Tonk Man hit Slater with his guitar.
- Fandango refused to face Kofi Kingston when Justin Roberts mispronounced his name.
- Triple H challenged Brock Lesnar to a match at WrestleMania, asking “Are you gonna show up and fight? Or are you just gonna sit there and bleed?”
- Alberto Del Rio def. Wade Barrett.
- The New Age Outlaws def. Primo and Epico.
- Mae Young celebrated her 90th birthday; CM Punk interrupted.
- CM Punk def. Randy Orton, Big Show and Sheamus to become The Undertaker’s WrestleMania opponent.
The Undertaker finally returns:
The Undertaker’s long anticipated return was cleverly drip-fed to WWE fans over several weeks. First he was spotted at the Predators NHL game in Nashville ahead of Raw in February. Then on the 23rd he made a rare house show appearance in Waco, Texas prompting speculation that he was indeed coming back for Wrestlemania. Prior to tonight’s show there was no doubt when an Undertaker logo appeared on the WWE App and mobile subscribers were sent the message “I have risen.”
Following a nostalgic intro to “Old School” Raw fans who were disappointed last week were immediately given what they wanted. Appearing on the ramp and pointing to the Wrestlemania sign the Undertaker symbolically laid out the challenge…who can defeat his Wrestlemania winning streak?
Having been taken out of the title picture for the money-rematch match between The Rock and John Cena one could argue the only deserving and believable challenger for the Deadman is the Best In The World. Punk has reinvigorated a fledgling main event and added prestige to the WWE title not seen in years; anything less than the Undertaker completely kills his momentum. WWE agree, because immediately after The Undertaker’s return the egomaniac got on the mic proclaiming that he will defeat the streak and everyone will just have to “deal with it”.
However Punk was not alone in his wish to challenge the Phenom. Randy Orton interrupted the Straight Edge Saviour and reminded him that he’s faced Undertaker before at Wrestlemania and he’s also defeated CM Punk; he asked the WWE Universe who they wanted Undertaker to face and in the fans eyes they chose Orton. Next out was Big Show who like Orton has already tasted defeat at the hands of the Undertaker at the Grand-Daddy of them all, but back then he didn’t have the KO Punch. The final contender was Sheamus who argued that because he’s never faced the Deadman and never lost to him, he deserves the shot.
There was only one thing left to do, fight it out! And with that Vickie booked all four Superstars in a Fatal-4-Way for the chance to challenge the streak!
Unlike his three opponents who went out all guns blazing, Punk strategically picked his victory, hitting the GTS on Orton only after the others had exhausted their own finishing maneuvers. The night wasn’t over yet, though, as the gong tolled once more and The Phenom materialized before the former WWE Champion for an epic stare-down.
John Cena and The Rock exchange words:
There’s one thing the Rock knows how to do and that’s entertain the fans with his verbiage, but when “the people’s nipples” warmed up it was time to get serious for Wrestlemania. John Cena said his loss to The Rock last year sent his life in a tailspin, but he has a shot at redemption, a chance to rewrite history. “I am not throwing this chance away.”
The Rock said he’s happy to see John Cena’s fire return, nobody “other than the Rock” has that passion and desire…but according to the Great One he has it that much more. “You ain’t gettin’ redemption, Jack. You’re gettin’ your a** kicked.”
Unfazed Cena bluntly responded… “At WrestleMania 29, your time is up. My time is now.”
Continuing the game of one-up-manship The Rock fired back… “‘Winning is about heart you just have to have it in the right place,’ the person who said that was Lance Armstrong and he’s full of crap just like you!”
Neither man would back down. Cena vowed to be WWE Champion and The Rock vowed to get the victory. There can only be one winner!
- After Raw went off the air The Shield attacked Big Show.
- In a dark match main event John Cena, Ryback and Sheamus def. The Shield via DQ when Roman Reigns used a chair.
- After the show @TripleH Tweeted a photo from backstage with his former DX partners…
Category: TV and PPV | Tags: CM Punk, The Undertaker