Horror stories out of Japanese wrestling Dojos are nothing new. For years there have been stories of extreme hazing, sexual rituals and other forms of abuse surrounding rookie wrestlers, but a story hitting the mainstream headlines in Japan doesn’t involve a willing athlete but a defenseless monkey.
Several wrestlers at the Dragon Gate promotion, which is starting its first US tour, have been implicated. The monkey lives in the dojo and supposed to be under the care of the wrestlers, however according to reports, wrestlers constantly tease the monkey and have:
- Choked him by the neck until it passed out.
- Burned the monkey with charcoal.
- Threw him into a tub of boiling hot water.
- Blew air into his mouth so it would defecate itself.
- Gave the monkey sake (Japanese alcohol) regularly until it would pass out.
- Dragged it around by a chain on its neck.
- Attached fire crackers to him and lit them
- And locked him in a box and sprayed antiperspirant inside, causing it to freak out.
The wrestlers implicated are Shingo Takagi, Akira Tozawa and Katsuo/Yuki Ono, after they openly blogged about the abuse. The monkey has since been adopted by a loving family.
Category: Wrestling News |